Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bad China Month


While I have not been in China for six weeks now, the ghost of Chinese deniability is still haunting me with severe financial consequences (considering I’m now a poor student in one of the most expensive cities in the world).

First, the Agricultural Bank of China stole nearly 400USD from my bank account. I meticulously check my bank accounts online and double check that every line item is something that I actually spent money on even if I regretted it later. Some of those rash purchases at the fabric market fall in that category.

When suddenly three withdraws on the same day appeared, I noticed, and complained, but I made no progress at the Chinese Bank. The Chinese bank’s official line is, “You will have to talk to your home bank about the problem”

My American bank was appalled and tried twice to file a complaint with the Agricultural Bank of China, which is insistent that a glitch never occurred.

Four hundred dollars gone…

Second, I apprehensively awaited the arrival of the last box I sent from China. Its contents included my very last purchases from the fabric market, which I already dearly miss. It did not arrive until four days after I left for London…I should say that the box arrived with two large slashes in it and no contents except an old bag I sent home with sentimental value. A gorgeous white cashmere coat, a pink coat I bought my sister, a full suit, the altered pants to two other suits, a silk jewelry box, and souvenirs that I bought for my entire family were all stolen.

The US Postal Service is looking for the “missing” items, but they were already gone before USPS even received the package. I’m not going to see them again.

Another four hundred dollars gone…

So some devious person is walking around with four hundred U.S dollars in my white coat that I bought for the cold London winters. Needless to say, it caused a very, very bitter impression within my parting memories of China.

3 comments:

Vy Spear said...

oh no, that's awful! let's hope there is some sort of karmic retribution for those jerks who stole your things!

Jamie said...

AHHH! THAT SUCKS!!!!
Dave still hasn't gotten one of his china packages either... And it's impossible to track.
:( i hope at least you get some reimbursement.

The key to getting anything from china is making a humongous fuss. Get dspear to make a scene!

LBS said...

Ashley that sucks. the Chinese banks are so hard to deal with too! Plus, they always blame it on the US "system". Like the time difference will prevent us from taking cash out of an ATM or something. I'm really sorry to hear about the package too..BAD CHINA!