Monday, September 29, 2008

MAd Tea Party


Between 1849 and attending Oxford in 1851 an unexplained gap exists in the life of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll, the whimsical author behind Alice’s Adventure in Wonderland. I have unraveled the mystery of the missing years: the author attended my university. The experience provided inspiration for one of the most memorable chapters in the book: the Mad Tea Party.

I entered my department’s induction expecting to receive the answers to my most pressing questions. Alice wanted to find her way home; I want to know what classes I am going to take and when. Instead, I received riddles.

We filled out forms in the meeting listing our top ten choices of optional class although we only take two. We will find out next week, except classes start now…sort of. Geography classes begin this week, War Studies classes relating to Europe begin next week, and all other classes begin the following week.

What am I supposed to do until I know what actual classes I’m taking? Why, sit in all my top ten classes that I might be taking, of course.

Move Down!

I listed a geography class as my number six choice but could not find the time or location for the class. I waded through enrolling freshman to locate my Master’s department. The answer: “Ask the Geography department.”

Move Down!

I tried to open an international student bank account but didn’t have an acceptance letter with my London address on it. The school wouldn’t send an acceptance letter to a London address that I would not have until after I received confirmation that I would be an international student in London.

Move Down!

As our library resembles a castle more than an actual library, I signed up for a library tour. In the madness of 200 students trying to sign up at the same time, I couldn’t hold onto the sign-up sheet long enough to see where and when the session was being held. I asked a program coordinator and was told, “Monday, at the library training center.”

I arrived early on Monday and was fairly suspicious when nobody else appeared to wait outside the classroom. I entered the classroom to ask the instructor just finishing a session with obvious freshman. My training session is on Monday at this time and in this location but next week.

Instead of being late like the White Rabbit, it appears I was very, very early.

3 comments:

Alison Stine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alison Stine said...

Where did you take this picture? If the Littles are around and hanging in London, James would like very much like to meet them.

Ashley said...

I took the picture off Waterloo Bridge, looking down on the Arts Center. Those are mostly students from King's College playing on outdoor artwork